Thursday, March 5, 2009

Getting ready for trip 3

Hi everyone,

We made it home. We miss him so much and it has only been 24 hours since we saw him. I took advantage of the time on the plan and made many lists of the things to do before he comes home. I will be very happy if we get through half the list.

I forgot to mention that they gave him a haircut. I think I did a better job cutting the hair of my Barbie dolls when I was 5. His bangs are so crooked –it is hysterical. BTW: for what ever reason-- the popular haircut for young men and boys in Russia is the mullet. I am happy to say his hair is not long enough for it to be shaped that way.

As most of you know I am a foodie. I’ve realize our nights of 3 hours dinners at trendy and not so trendy restaurants will be over when Baby B comes home. John and I are attempting to get it out of our system while being in St. Petersburg. The food is fantastic, although I refuse to eat cake for breakfast. Not that the cake is not good, I just like to start the day off in the right direction. As long as I have a nutritious breakfast—then it is OK if I have cake and cookies the rest of the day. My new favorite cuisine is Georgian/Azerbaijan also considered Central Asian cuisine. YUM! Think Turkish food with a mix of marinated and pickled vegetables and fishes and grilled meats, all with lots of fresh herbs. Also you can’t beat the prices. We are paying about half of what we pay going out to dinner in NY. I understand when we get to Moscow the prices are not the same—so we will be hanging out at the food court and the TGI Fridays that all the adoptive parents visit while in Moscow.

I also wanted to mention that to our surprise everyone we’ve dealt with in Russia during this process has been a woman (except) for our driver. All the Drs at the hospital, the judge, lawyers, directors, and social workers were all women. I’m still trying to figure out what the men do.

Over the next 10 days we will be very busy preparing the house, running around and working late nights so we can spend more time home when he is here.

I am in the middle of booking our flights and I am uncertain the best route to come home since we will have him. To all the adoptive parents out there—did you take the non-stop from Moscow on Delta or did you change planes. I was thinking that it might be good to change plans for the distraction- but I am not sure. Also I need tips on how to get him on the right time zone when we return so we’re not up all night.

Thanks for all your comments!

Paka,
Jodi

2 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Welcome Home!! We flew straight back on Delta. You have to be careful about changing planes in other countries because if you got stuck at an airport some places you wouldn't be allowed to leave without your son having an "in-transient' Visa. At least I remember reading adn talking about that before. I think it's better to get the trip over with than to drag it out. That being said we had a layover in Atlanta, but at least we were in the US and Daniel was a citizen! But for 6 hours he ran us ragged!! Lastly, we were lucky with the sleeping pattern. We just basically made him sleep a few hours, skipped nap the first day to exhaust him and then put him to bed that night! Worked great! You must be so anxious to get back! Take care!

Tiger & Kar said...

Welcome home! We flew nonstop home from Moscow to Dulles on Aeroflot. For us, it was great to just get all the flying done & over with rather than having to drag ourselves & our new son through multiple airports.

Hoping these 10 days go by quickly for you!